Saturday, December 22, 2007

I wish you a merry cold shower (or a bucket)…

By now I have accepted that I’m just not that consistent at writing. Or reporting. I find it hard to write when I’m figuring something out. And almost impossible to explain it, once I have figured it out.

But let me try and give you some updates.

Especially for those of you who want to lose weight.

Or get younger.

Or get energy.

Cause I’ve lost almost 20 pounds. In less then two months. Healthfully. And I’m jumping again. Really jumping. Up in the air. With my kids :-)

So gals (and guys), it’s possible! I’m writing just to let you know that. Maybe you’ll get inspired :-)

I thought I’ll never have this feeling again. I bought into the “getting older”, “weaker joints”, etc…

But it was all a lie. I’m now feeling younger by the day. And I’m implementing more and more healthy habits into my and my family’s life. It’s no longer overwhelming. It is still a journey, and it’s still a learning process, but it is slowly forming into a system. And it is paying of.

One of the latest destinations this journey has taken me is back to my past. I suddenly remembered (not that I really forgot, but I certainly avoided it :-) ) that between the ages of 13 and 18 I was very fit, skinny and healthy. I hardly ever got sick. I had all the energy in the world. And there was this one thing I did (on top of eating better) that I stopped for a reason I now can’t think of. I used to pour a bucket of freezing cold water over myself every single morning.

You see, it’s a quite common knowledge in Russia that cold water has tons of positive effects. Among other things it improves blood circulation, gives you energy, prevents from catching colds, destroys viruses and ailments inside you, etc… Russians are notorious for taking steaming hot baths and then running out into the snow. Or skinny dipping in the dead of winter. There is much scientific research done to prove the effectiveness of such body tempering (I really can’t find a better word – there doesn’t seem to be an English translation for the concept.). There is not too much information about the concept in English, but if you check this link
Anyways, I can attest to the fact that the cold water thing works. It worked for me then. And I decided to do it again. Unfortunately over these past years I’ve become very pampered and was too scared to do a freezing bucket out of the blue. So I decided to do it in stages. Every day at the end of my shower I switch the dial to cooler and cooler temperatures and take on that cold water for a few seconds. I feel so refreshed after! I’m proud to announce that I feel ready for the bucket again. In fact, it’s already on my “to buy” list. (As soon as I’m out of “Christmas debt”).

So, if you are brave enough, and want to feel a jolt of energy you’ve never thought possible – give it a shot. Take your shower, as usual, and then at the end, take a breath in (cause the first time the shock might leave you breathless) and shift the water dial to cool (or as cold as you are brave enough to try). As the water pours on you, feel free to jump, scream and twist. It’s fun! Do that for a few seconds, and then right after dry yourself vigorously with a towel.

No cup of coffee in the morning will ever get you this alert.

(Disclaimer – naturally I’m not a doctor, and you’d be doing it at your own risk… )

I’m thinking that these showers are responsible for a turnaround in my attitude. And in the way I feel. I’m no longer feeling oppressed by all these changes. I welcome them. Cause I feel like finally the real “me” is being resurrected.

And that’s a darn good thing.

And I wish you the same.

PS: You think loosing 20 pounds is nothing? Well, that’s 20 pounds in two months. But I actually lost over 40 since I came home with the baby. It’s just that these last 20 were much easier and sort of melted off without me even focusing on them :-)

Posted by vasilisa @ 12:45 a.m.

Read or Post a Comment

Vasilisa,
That's chilly advice. I recently saw a photo of a Russian man swimming in the freezing weather - and I even saw snow. I thought he was a polar bear. I usually have a luke warm shower and then turn it to cool at the end, but cold is something I will have to work up to.

I will try though.

Posted by Blogger Alexys Fairfield @ 2:16 a.m. #
 

Congratulations!! You did it and keep it up. Cold shower is not possible right now but in Summer, it would be welcome!!
Merry Christmas and happy New year. May the new year bring you health and happiness!:))

Posted by Blogger FH @ 3:35 p.m. #
 

Congratulations on the weight loss! Wow! Good for you!

When I was a senior in high school, an exchange student from Germany lived with us. When we got our first snow of the season while she was here, she immediately ran out into it - bare feet and all! She said they always did that over there - even if they were in school - for the same reasons you suggested.

It's interesting, although I've never tried it.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Posted by Blogger Leslie @ 9:02 p.m. #
 

I was just stopping by to see if there were any posts about your New Year's Eve celebration. I first read about how Russians celebrate New Year's Eve on your blog last year and it sounded like a much more fun celebration than a typical American New Year's Eve.

Hope you have a great one this year. Happy New Year!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 11:35 a.m. #
 

Hi Vasilisa,
Just wanted to wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR. All the best for 2008!

Posted by Blogger Alexys Fairfield @ 3:36 p.m. #
 

Wow..I will have to try that!
Thanks for your kind comment on my blog!
Happy new Year and keep up the good work on yourself and your family.
debbie

Posted by Blogger Debbie Young @ 3:39 p.m. #
 
<< Home

About

I'm a 29 year old mom of two! A toddler (kiddo one) and a new baby (kiddo junior). I am also the most horrible (as in I barely ever do it) cook that I have met in my life. This blog is a diary of my attempts to feed my hungry growing family

PS: My name is not actually Vasilisa... But I find that honest reporting comes easier when there is a shred of anonymity. (Apparently, posting pics of my sons doesn't count...)

PPS: For those of you wondering where on the planet I am: I'm cosily tacked away in the Torontonian suburbia of the Great White North (Canada).

The Beginnings

What is all this?

Listening

To music, naturally.

Reading

All kinds of books. Haven't figured out how to post links to them yet.

E-mail me

Yes, you can actually email me:

Vasilia

Real Savvy Mom Blogger